AI Bots in the Server.

Ask questions related to the [TBBC] server-side modification.

AI Bots in the Server.

Postby ovidubs@gmail.com » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:33 am

Hello TBBC,

I don't know your background in terms of being a computer/game programmer. But I do know your level is far beyond the "hello world" program.

That being said, is it possible to create AI Bots from the single player into the multiplayer server / would you be able to do it? I am willing to fund this project up to $100.

Any thoughts on this?
ovidubs@gmail.com

Re: AI Bots in the Server.

Postby [DBH]*Rommie*{2Lt}. » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:46 am

If i know more programmers in history trying it, and they found it impossible in server side (i also focused about that years ago)..

In theory, with client side modifications it can work, but it will be really buggy and in practice useless. Just look at AI in SP.. this will be horrible in MP.

There is several maps in UMP2 they contain AI (because avp2 need them placed directly in map), and this exactly maps made servers realy hungry about HW ressources and a bit unstable and HARDCORE laging..

But maybe tbbc found any way,,
[DBH]*Rommie*{2Lt}.

Postby ovidubs@gmail.com » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:41 pm

I can see it being buggy...

It's just boring being the first person in the server waiting for other players so I thought it would be cool to just have some bots running around before players come in. Kinda like to pass by the time, you know?
ovidubs@gmail.com

Postby [TBBC] » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:07 pm

I have to agree with Rommie. It's possible to add single player bots but they're completely FUBAR. The amount of time it'd take to fix that makes 100 dollars not worth it :P. The current AI has no sense of its environment. It will continuously bump into walls and objects trying to move towards you in a straight line. The bots should somewhat behave like normal players and appear in the score list. Adding them to the list is also a problem. The engine isn't designed to have AI "players" in multiplayer. It's possible but would be a patchwork of hacks. The AI code as it is now is a huge mess. The developer that wrote it was either drunk or in a hurry. Parts of it are also very STL heavy, of which I am absolutely no fan.
[TBBC]
Site Admin

Postby .poP » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:36 am

Various people have been trying to get the AI work properly during the years without success. Even some literal mods have been made during the years which are meant just for pve with a lot of maps which 99,9% have been unsuccesfull. Aka you can shoot at aliens or predators, you can shoot em for like 5 clips and they wont die at all. Full of glitches. No matter what you try, unless you literally code each o em one by one which is way too insane with this game engine.
People better stick doing new maps, if they want to do anything at all. Or texture packs for the various maps which exist already if given the permission to do so. Other than that, stick with what you have.. This aint gonna get better than it is really..

Edit.

I remember I tried to play some maps with AI included with my big brother in LAN and with some other people online during the years.. It was a literal horror show, as you all know. You all have gone through the same if you have tried playing those maps. xD
.poP

Postby Yeti Yutani » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:22 am

I just read this after playing some sangle player, and I tink, maybe it actually a good ideas...........

(although I haven't played Alien vs Predator 2010) I think to make like close to movie, if remember you, Aliens movie almost always have swarm of aliens as enemies.....now, pradators, another issue..........in moviea, usually ratio of 3 : 30 predator/alien........
ahnd, consider human ai........perhaps, human soldier try fighting too in extra character in map in server

.....is idea because in movies, usually aliens like storm troopers, they so many! So, maybe they make sense as extra obstacle in multiplayer?!? :|

:geek: hmm??

8-) Probably!
Yeti Yutani

Postby .poP » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:21 am

Yeti Yutani, you didnt read anything we just said before you posted? :roll:
.poP

Postby Yeti Yutani » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:06 am

Oh - I sorry. But it possible to be grate idea! Sadly, it seem bots would not adapt to any multiplayer map.

But good idea, nonetheless! Espacially if was aliens vs ,well, mabe 2 or 3 Predator, and many human marine I guess. :o :P
Yeti Yutani

Return to [TBBC] Server-Side Modification