Capture the Flag

Topics relating to the [TBBC] servers, server bans and player complaints.

Capture the Flag

Postby [TBBC] » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:10 pm

Capture the Flag

As you might have noticed, our newest server is a CTF server. Inspired by Rommie's failed "King of the Hill" idea, this is the first and only vanilla CTF experience. This gametype does not require a client update so it works for everyone. A side effect of that, is, it uses the Team Deathmatch scoreboard, and I couldn't find anything that properly represents a flag. These colored pillars as shown below are used as flags for now because I didn't want to end up with something that looks completely ridiculous. Despite this, we ended up with a solid CTF framework that blows Rommie's "Queen vs. Exo" out of the water.

Image Image

The concept is simple. Steal the enemy flag and bring it to your own. Your team's flag must be present at its base location to score. The flag carriers will glow bright so it's always easy to spot them.

Have fun and be sure to report bugs here.
[TBBC]
Site Admin

Re: Capture the Flag

Postby Legend » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:27 pm

If I may make suggestion can you add aliens and preds into 2 teams? Like for example on the AVP2 fortress mod they have red vs blue and all species in 2 teams. So far I like it. Be more fun if aliens and preds are in it. :) Again its only a suggestion, you dont have to take it.
Legend

Postby Player_Zero » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:43 pm

Tried it, it was fun. An idea, maybe it could be made like overrun where everyone starts off with just the pulse rifle, regardless of what character they choose, I noticed a lot of people were playing rykov and johnson in order to get access to the pulse rifle. Or even make it an all weapons server. (leave out the grenade launcher though, ha)

legend's idea of bringing the other two species into it is interesting, but I worry that runners will make the flag capturing very fast.

I notice the lights from the flags are just pure white in the game and not coloured like in your screenshots.

oh and more maps of course.
Player_Zero

Postby [TBBC] » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:19 pm

Legend wrote:If I may make suggestion can you add aliens and preds into 2 teams? Like for example on the AVP2 fortress mod they have red vs blue and all species in 2 teams. So far I like it. Be more fun if aliens and preds are in it. :) Again its only a suggestion, you dont have to take it.

The idea is nice but it wouldn't work very well. The problem is that there is no way I can change how your interface looks without modifying the client. Even if I add more classes, you will still have 4 buttons and your game wouldn't recognize them. I could implement a command to switch to Aliens and Predators while staying on the same team but it would make things complicated and look ridiculously stupid. It would work similar to the character hacks of the past. Imagine a bunch of Harrisons running around as runners :P.

I personally don't think Aliens are suitable for CTF games because they make capturing too easy. Predators are basically useless against Aliens unless they spam the pistol, which in turn makes it unplayable for humans. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Player_Zero wrote:Tried it, it was fun. An idea, maybe it could be made like overrun where everyone starts off with just the pulse rifle, regardless of what character they choose, I noticed a lot of people were playing rykov and johnson in order to get access to the pulse rifle. Or even make it an all weapons server. (leave out the grenade launcher though, ha)

Disabling class weapons will make most people look for smartguns and bazookas rather than capture the enemy flag. All weapons turns it into the spamfest that TDM already is. The pulsers will keep using pulse rifles regardless of their inventory so it doesn't make a difference for them.

Player_Zero wrote:I notice the lights from the flags are just pure white in the game and not coloured like in your screenshots.

The flag should have the color of your team. The green and red flags are reserved for the other teams.
[TBBC]
Site Admin

Postby Legend » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Im talking about like this for example.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/avp2-team-fortress
Legend

Postby [TBBC] » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:20 pm

I know what mod you are talking about :P. There is no way to make it like that without a client patch.

Anyway, I changed some things:

- Fixed players not being able to respawn from freefly.
- Fixed some players not respawning after changing class.
- Decreased the time before a flag returns to its base from 20 to 15 seconds.
- Added colony and alley.
[TBBC]
Site Admin

Postby Legend » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Can you add fury and hanger too?
Legend

Postby SpaWn » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:22 pm

hello,
I do not think it's a good idea to allow AkuMa have to go on your servers, because it uses the spawn of the enemy camp for sk multiply in minutes including the maps Leadworks and Quarantine on the CTF server.
It would have been better it is still banned, for the game.

thank you for your attention

Dark Knight Wellan
SpaWn

Postby [TBBC] » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Legend wrote:Can you add fury and hanger too?

I added fury but I'm not so sure about hanger. I can't decide where to put the flags on that map.

I also added a deployable turret system. This is experimental, I will take it out again if it causes problems. Each team has one turret object that looks like a glowing tripod. Pick it up and deploy it somewhere using your activate button. The turret parameters are:

Hitpoints 2000
Target Delay 300ms
Vertical Angle 35
Horizontal Angle 45
Range 2000
Respawn Time 30

SpaWn wrote:hello,
I do not think it's a good idea to allow AkuMa have to go on your servers, because it uses the spawn of the enemy camp for sk multiply in minutes including the maps Leadworks and Quarantine on the CTF server.
It would have been better it is still banned, for the game.

thank you for your attention
Dark Knight Wellan

You will have to rephrase yourself. Your post isn't making sense at all.
[TBBC]
Site Admin

Postby Legend » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:21 pm

Well this is my image for hanger, put the one of the flags on that area between the ladders like middle floor at the end of the map. And for the other flag put on the opposite side where those 2 holes are that lead to the bottom floor. There is so many ways to get the flag and stuff. :)
Legend

Next

Return to [TBBC] Servers